Bordeaux; Gascon is a port city on the Garonne River in the Gironde department in southwestern France.
The municipality (commune) of Bordeaux proper has a population of 243,626 (2012). Together with its suburbs and satellite towns, Bordeaux is the center of the Bordeaux Métropole, which with 749,595 inhabitants (as of 2013) is the 5th largest in France. It is the capital of the Aquitaine-Limousin-Poitou-Charentes region, as well as the prefecture of the Gironde department. Its inhabitants are called “Bordelais” (for men) or “Bordelaise” (women). The term “Bordelais” may also refer to the city and its surrounding region.
The city’s titles are “La Perle d’Aquitaine” (The Pearl of Aquitaine), and “La Belle Endormie” (Sleeping Beauty) in reference to the old center which had black walls due to pollution. Nowadays, this is not the case. In fact, a part of the city, Le Port de La Lune, was almost completely renovated. Bordeaux is the city which has the highest number of preserved historical buildings in France, except for Paris.
Bordeaux is the world’s major wine industry capital. It is home to the world’s main wine fair, Vinexpo, while the wine economy in the metro area takes in 14.5 billion euros each year. Bordeaux wine has been produced in the region since the 8th century. The historic part of the city is on the UNESCO World Heritage List as “an outstanding urban and architectural ensemble” of the 18th century.
- Enjoy the finest wines of the prestigious Bordeaux region whilst pampering your palate by savoring traditional French gastronomy at some of the country’s top Michelin starred establishments.
- Discover the subterranean cellars and winemaking secrets of the most stunning chateaux of the region, then marvel at the expansive sprawls of historic vineyards.
- Enjoy a range of activities, from archaeological caves to white water kayaking or hiking to medieval villages, your personal guide will tailor make your itinerary to your personal passions.
- Meet with the distinguished wine producers and learn the art of creating your very own “Bordeaux style blend”.
- With these skills under your belt, we will turn our attention to culinary challenges.
- Donning your chef’s hat, immerse yourself in an interactive cooking experience held in another beautiful castle.
- We will incorporate the noblest regional products such as foie gras, truffles, and duck. In the evenings, relax in the luxury surroundings of your 5-star hotel or discover the benefits of vinotherapy at Sources de Caudalie luxury spa.